The Best New Years Cocktail- Espresso Martini Recipe
Coffee in a cocktail? Yes, please!
In recent years, one cocktail seems to have become extremely popular- we’re talking about the espresso martini! First invented by genius bartender Dick Bradsell in 1983, he originally named this drink a ‘vodka espresso’ after receiving a request from a customer to make her a drink with alcohol and coffee. The simplicity of this cocktail, needing only four ingredients, made it an icon in the cocktail world. The crema on top, finished with three coffee beans, is highly recognisable, but do you know why three beans are placed on top? They aren’t just for decoration; they represent health, wealth, and happiness. That’s one to cross off your pub quiz trivia.
Now, wouldn’t it be amazing if you could make this in the comfort of your own home? Two Chimps has you sorted with our tried and tested espresso martini recipe! Are you hosting a drinks party this New Year’s Eve? This simple drink is bound to impress your friends; you’ll be able to add mixologist to your CV!
Four helpful rules to ensure a perfect espresso martini at home:
- Only use Two Chimps Coffee.
Technically, this isn’t a rule, but it should be! Our speciality coffee elevates this awesome cocktail to a whole new level. The rich chocolatey flavours from our orange and blue labelled coffees make it even more irresistible.
- Always use fresh espresso.
This drink is best served with a freshly brewed espresso. You want to prepare your coffee roughly half an hour before making the drink. This allows the coffee to cool, ensuring the ice does not melt once added to the cocktail shaker.
- Shaken, not stirred.
You need to shake vigorously to ensure you get that glorious crema sitting on top. Why, you ask? Well, the natural oils in the coffee must combine with air bubbles to create this foam layer. The best way to do this is to shake it like crazy!
- Use good quality vodka.
Now you have the best coffee in the world; you need to pair it with a top-notch vodka. You want this spirit to bring something to the flavour profile, not just alcoholic strength. Try Smirnoff or that bottle stashed at the back of the cupboard you got for your birthday and haven’t opened yet. Trust us, this cocktail is worth the good stuff!
Let’s get mixing!
Ingredients (makes one espresso martini):
- 35ml Coffee Liqueur
- 25ml Espresso
- 50ml Vodka
- 1 and ½ tsp (7.5 ml) Simple Sugar Syrup (to make, add equal parts water to sugar and bring to a boil in a saucepan, then set aside to cool)
- 3 Coffee Beans
- Cocktail Shaker
- Strainer (you don’t need this if your cocktail shaker has a built-in strainer)
- Cocktail/Martini Glass
1. Add lots of ice to your cocktail shaker. Also, add a generous handful of ice to your glass to cool it down.
2. Pour in all your ingredients!
3. Put the lid on (double-check it is on nice and tight!) and SHAKE LIKE CRAZY. You want the martini to get that nice and foamy layer on top when poured.
4. Remove the ice from your glass.
5. Use a strainer (if needed) and pour. Give a little shake if your ice is blocking the flow of liquid.
You now have the BEST-tasting espresso martini. Go on, take that first sip! This rich coffee flavour has added sweetness from the syrup topped with undertones of vodka and coffee liqueur; we’re drooling. Happy New Year!
Not sure which coffee to pick? Shop below for our favourites to use in this recipe!
Join the troop